Friday, June 25, 2010

Minti's Adventures: Snickerdoodles

For years (not really) I've been trying to find a recipe for Snickerdoodle cookies like the type we love in the Washington, DC area. Traditional recipes are very cakey and dry. Boring. The Snickerdoodles I'm used to are thin, flat, chewy and very buttery. Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I made these America's Test Kitchen cookies, but I switched out the chocolate chips for M&Ms. They were perfection. As I was enjoying cookie number 7 (dont judge me) I realized they tasted very similar to the Snickerdoodles I grew up eating. So, I made a few changes to the recipe and they aren't quite the same, but they are very very close. Go me!


(Sorry for the crappy pic. I didnt feel like pulling out the real camera)

Snickerdoodle Cookies

(Adapted from America's Test Kitchen)

Makes about 24 cookies

Ingredients

2 cups plus 2 tablespoons (10 2/3 ounces) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoon (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup packed (7 ounces) light brown sugar
1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract


Directions:

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 large (18- by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. Whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together in medium bowl; set aside.

3. In mixer, combine butter and sugar and mix until combined.

4. Add vanilla, egg and yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar lumps remaining, about 30 seconds.

5. Slowly add in flour. Mix until combined. (About 30 seconds)

6. Roll 2 tablespoons of dough into a ball. Arrange 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.

7. Bake cookies 1 tray at a time until cookies are golden brown and still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, about 15 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack; cool cookies completely before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment